Re: wpa supplicant/ipw3945, ESSID last char missing

From: Alessandro Suardi
Date: Mon Oct 02 2006 - 05:22:44 EST

On 10/2/06, Norbert Preining <preining@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Dear all!

I have the following problem with wpa supplicant/ipw3945. First the
versions:
kernel: 2.6.18-mm2 (self compiled)
ieee80211: 1.1.14
ipw3945: git source
ipw3945d: 1.7.19
wpa supplicant: 0.5.5 (Debian/unstable 0.5.5-1)

Config file of wpa_supplicant:
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=0
eapol_version=1
ap_scan=1
network={
ssid="norbunet"
key_mgmt=NONE
auth_alg=SHARED
wep_key0=HEXKEY1
wep_key1=HEXKEY2
wep_key2=HEXKEY3
wep_key3=HEXKEY4
wep_tx_keyidx=0
priority=5
}

When I start ipw3945d and wpa_supplicant it does not connect. And the
reason is that when typing
iwconfig eth2
(eth0 cable, eth1 not present!?!, eth2 ipw3945) I see that the ESSID is
set to
"norbune"
instead of
"norbunet"

Calling
iwconfig eth2 essid "norbunet "
(mind the space at the end) immediately connects (even with encryption)
and everything is working.

Do you have any idea what this might be related to?

The last kernel I tried which worked out of the box (well, with
comnpiling ieee and ipw) was 2.6.18-rc4.

Hi Norbert,

we've been just through an email thread where it has been
determined that wpa_supplicant 0.4.9 (I would assume that
0.5.5 is also okay) and wireless-tools from Jean's latest
tarball are necessary to work with the recent wireless
extensions v21 that have been merged in.

What wireless-tools are you using ?

Ciao,

--alessandro

"Well a man has two reasons for things that he does
the first one is pride and the second one is love
all understandings must come by this way"

(Husker Du, 'She Floated Away')