Re: BUG-lockdep and freeze (was: Arrr! Linux 2.6.18)

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sat Sep 30 2006 - 16:29:53 EST

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006, Al Viro wrote:

> Oh, so _that_ is what it is supposed to do? I've seen it when it went
> in, tried to read, barfed and chalked it up to KDB or itanic braindamage
> (both have turds of that genre). Didn't realize that lockdep used it too...

Well, anything that shows or needs a back-trace. By definition, it's
pretty much just debug code.

I sure as hell hope we don't have any actual _semantics_ that depend on
back-traces, like the broken asynchronous C++ exception handling code etc
that people have in user space (what a total brain-damage _that_ is!).

Linus