[ANNOUNCE] Cogito-0.18

From: Petr Baudis
Date: Fri Sep 29 2006 - 08:07:05 EST

Hello,

I just released cogito-0.18 - new feature release of the Cogito
user-friendly Git user interface. The biggest highlights are
super-duper cg-log, tagging interface and cg-patch -m. Contrary to my
plan, this unfortunately does NOT contain three big things yet that are
missing but will be in cogito-0.19 (which should be already quite near
the ever-approaching version 1.0):

- Rigorous three-way merging of uncommitted local changes
instead of stashing local changes in patches
(stashing produces harder-to-resolve conflicts and can
in some extreme circumstances lead to loss or almost-loss
of your local changes which is highly evil; this is my
priority now; if you want to be absolutely safe, do not
update/merge/switch your tree while having uncommitted
changes in it)
- Support for cg-clone -a (clone all remote branches)
- Support for auto-pushing tags

So, now for things that ARE part of 0.18: :-)

First, a simple README update is the only difference from 0.18rc2.

* INCOMPATIBLE: $COGITO_COLORS is renamed to $CG_COLORS
* INCOMPATIBLE: cg-log now by default hides merges, -M behaviour is
reversed
* All kinds of very stale command aliases that were deprecated for eons
were removed
* .git/author is deprecated (use .git/config to set it up)
* We now officially depend on 1.4.2 (we use git-*-fetch --stdin which makes
fetching tags _MUCH_ faster)

* cg-log was reworked to support cg-log -d (show diffs inline),
cg-log -S (pickaxe) and renames following (does not quite work, though;
I decided not to fix it and wait for revisions.c in Git to support it
since the perl script which takes care of this is quite a hack)
* cg-switch -l to stash your local changes when switching branches
* cg-commit --amend
* Tagging interface (cg-tag, cg-tag-ls, cg-tag-show) was greatly enhanced
* cg-patch -m for applying mailboxes
* cg-clone -l now sets up an alternate instead of symlinking the object db
* Support for cg-clone --reference
* cg-admin-setuprepo supports setting up repositories over SSH
* Support fetching over FTP
* Other cool stuff!

Happy hacking,

--