Re: GPLv3 Position Statement

From: Samuel Tardieu
Date: Fri Sep 29 2006 - 06:10:55 EST

>>>>> "Tridge" == tridge <tridge@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

Tridge> I'm also a strong proponent of "authors rights", and I would
Tridge> consider it very nasty if someone took one of my projects and
Tridge> decided to fork it to be GPLv2 only, deliberately going
Tridge> against my intention. They might have a legal right to do so
Tridge> but it would clearly be against my wishes. I'm not even 100%
Tridge> certain it would be legal.

Tridge> The "any later version" words I have put on all my projects
Tridge> are there quite deliberately.

Tridge: *you* also chose deliberately to use the GPL which explicitely
allows other people to do so. You could have written "the latest
version of the GPL as released by the FSF" or used a licence similar
to the GPLv2 with the permission to restrain the licence removed.

Moreover, anyone can add a patch released under the GPLv2 only (this
is their right, morally and technically) to a copy of your software;
after that, they have no choice but to redistribute the whole as GPLv2
only (I insist on "the whole", of course they might keep the "or later"
on your individual files).

Sam
--
Samuel Tardieu -- sam@xxxxxxxxxxx -- http://www.rfc1149.net/