Re: forcedeth - WOL [SOLVED]

From: Björn Steinbrink
Date: Wed Sep 27 2006 - 22:05:00 EST

On 2006.09.27 18:36:25 -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:

> > I only tried 2.6.18 twice this time, but when I wrote my own tool to do
> > it, I had probably 20-30 power on -> ethtool -> poweroff cycles before I
> > decided to look into Bugzilla. As it looked like being fixed already and
> > I did use the nForce NIC for testing only, I didn't spend any further
> > time on it back then.
>
> What I'm angling towards is: "is this just a driver bug"?

I just took a peek at the code.

The version on bugzilla (last attachment, comment #22), which was
reported to work correctly, has the MAC address reversal hardcoded.
The driver in 2.6.18 has some logic to detect if it should reverse the
MAC address. So it looks like a hardware oddity/bug that the driver
wants to fix but fails. I'll see what happens if I force address
reversal and if I can decipher anything, but probably someone else will
have to cast the runes...

Björn