Re: forcedeth - WOL

From: Alistair John Strachan
Date: Wed Sep 27 2006 - 14:36:46 EST

On Wednesday 27 September 2006 18:50, Martin Filip wrote:
> Hi to LKML,
>
> I'm experiencing some troubles with WOL with my nForce NIC.
> The problem is simple - after setting WOL mode to magic packet my PC
> won't wake up. I've noticed there were some changes about this in new
> kernel, but no luck for me.
>
> I'm using 2.6.18 kernel, vanilla. I've tried this with Windows Vista RC1
> (build 5600) and WOL works correctly. My NIC is integrated on MSI K8N
> Neo4-FI

On my nForce4 CK804 it's disabled by default, I bet this is your problem:

[root] 19:33 [~] ethtool lan
Settings for lan:
Supported ports: [ MII ]
Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
1000baseT/Full
Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
Advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
1000baseT/Full
Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Speed: 100Mb/s
Duplex: Full
Port: MII
PHYAD: 1
Transceiver: external
Auto-negotiation: on
Supports Wake-on: g
Wake-on: d
Link detected: yes

Read the manpage for ethtool. HTH.

--
Cheers,
Alistair.

Final year Computer Science undergraduate.