Re: 2.6.18-mm1 compile failure on x86_64

From: Ian Campbell
Date: Wed Sep 27 2006 - 07:09:41 EST

On Wed, 2006-09-27 at 12:26 +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:
> We can probably revert the notes patch for now, since it is only
> needed for Xen which isn't even merged yet.

We could apply the fix which moves the .bss after the .data sections.
The bug report after you originally applied that patch looked to me like
it was an existing bug which was exposed so it would probably be worth
tracking down the root cause of that one rather than rejecting that
patch as a possible solution.

The xen-unstable tree has had the .bss movement patch in for a couple of
weeks now with no reported bugs. We are frozen for the release 3.0.3 so
at least in theory people should be testing it pretty hard ;-)

> Ian, do you think you can do the notes in some different way that still
> works with old binutils?

I'm not sure. I think the notes themselves are generated fine the
problem lies in the change to the linker script to gather all
the .notes.* sections into the same PT_NOTES segment, that is something
Jeremy did for i386 and I just copied.

Do the notes really need to be gathered together? I we could make Xen
look for .notes.* sections as well as the PT_NOTES segment but I would
prefer to use the segment if possible...

Ian.