Re: sonypc with Sony Vaio VGN-SZ1VP

From: Len Brown
Date: Wed Sep 27 2006 - 02:03:53 EST

On Wednesday 27 September 2006 01:14, Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 20:56:31 +0300
> Ismail Donmez <ismail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > 26 Eyl 2006 Sal 19:29 tarihinde ÅunlarÄ yazmÄÅtÄnÄz:
> > > Andrea Gelmini a Ãcrit :
> > >
> > > /proc/acpi/sony comes from the sony_acpi driver, not sonypi.
> > >
> > > You should get the latest sony_acpi driver, preferably from the -mm tree
> > > which hosts the most up to date version.
> >
> > Will sony_acpi ever make it to the mainline? Its very useful for new Vaio
> > models.

Nope, not as it is. Useful != supportable.

1. It must not create any files under /proc/acpi
This is creating a machine-specific API, which
is exactly what we don't want Nobody can maintain
50 machine specific APIs.

These objects must appear generic and under sysfs
as if acpi were not involved in providing them.

2. its source code shall not live in drivers/acpi
it is not part of the ACPI implementation after all --
it is a platform specific driver.

thanks,
-Len