Re: serious kernel messages in /var/log/messages

From: Jesper Juhl
Date: Tue Sep 26 2006 - 19:08:45 EST

On 26/09/06, Dimitri Chausson <tri2000@xxxxxxx> wrote:
[... snip ...]
I already suspect a hardware problem, but I do
not know what to start with. '

memtest86 and/or memtest86+ are usually good starting points :

http://www.memtest86.com/
http://www.memtest.org/

faulty memory can often lead to very strange and seemingly random
problems, so give the machine a good run with a mem testing tool like
one of the above - I'd suggest running all tests of memtest86+ for
some 8-12 hours - if the machine survives that without errors then
your RAM is probably OK.

If you suspect your CPU (or just want to make sure) then a program
like cpuburn can be useful :

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/redelm/

If you suspect your harddrive, then smartmontools is probably what you
are looking for:

http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

--
Jesper Juhl <jesper.juhl@xxxxxxxxx>