Re: x86/x86-64 merge for 2.6.19

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Sep 26 2006 - 15:49:29 EST

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006, Andi Kleen wrote:

> Please pull 'for-linus' from
>
> http://one.firstfloor.org/home/andi/git/linus-2.6

I really don't want do http:// pulls - they are very inefficient, and I
don't trust the end result because the http protocol isn't really good for
verifying the end result (same goes for rsync:// to an even bigger
degree).

The native git protocol is not just more efficient, it's fundamentally
designed to be safe (ie everything is purely based on the actual data
coming down the line - there's no possibility for any hashed object
corruption, because the receiving side doesn't even care about the SHA1
names of the data it receives - it will re-compute them).

So please put them on some machine that has either anonymous native git
access ("git-daemon") or that I can ssh into. I can either just send
people my ssh key, but I actually prefer avoiding that, and instead just
have developers use one of the machines that people share ssh access to as
a meeting point (ie most people use "master.kernel.org" because they
already had accounts on that machine - if you don't want to actually
export the tree to the mirrors, just put it in your own home directory and
make sure I can get read (and execute, for directories) rights to the
repository.

Thanks,

Linus