Re: EIP Errors kernel 2.6.18 .AND hard lockup ...

From: Ben Duncan
Date: Tue Sep 26 2006 - 14:20:19 EST

Ok, I can remove the module so it no longer is loaded ..

It is replicate able, but randomly. Seems to occur when I hammer on
the SATA drive in the system, which is running on a add-on SIL 3112a
controller card.

Anyway, driver is removed, system rebooted, ksyms logged.
I will hammer again on the system to see if it fails ...

Thanks ...

Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx wrote:

desktop kernel: EIP: 0060:[<c01ba714>] Tainted: P VLI

proprietary module loaded--^

To me seems to be a PDFLUSH eip and the nvidia stuff is just
a by product of loaded modules, no?

The point is that we can't know that the NVidia module hasn't stomped on
some random memory location that happened to corrupt a radix tree. Note
that this is true even if you've loaded and then unloaded the module - it
may have splatted something before it departed....

Is it a replicatable error, and if so, can you replicate it without loading
the NVidia module? If you can come up with a traceback that doesn't have
an NVidia tainting in it, we'll be glad to look at it. Conversely, if you're
able to replicate it with nvidia loaded, but not without, toss it over
the fence to your friend.

--
Ben Duncan - Business Network Solutions, Inc. 336 Elton Road Jackson MS, 39212
"Never attribute to malice, that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"