Re: Pb with simultaneous SATA and ALSA I/O

From: Lee Revell
Date: Mon Sep 25 2006 - 10:50:54 EST

On Mon, 2006-09-25 at 10:38 -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> Well i agree with the suggestion of trying a different PCI slot for
> the sb live. There is so much onboard stuff sharing interrupts on
> those boards that you might have problems because of that. Creative
> cards are not very good at dealing with anything other than ideal
> conditions from what I have gathered over the years. The manual for
> the board will tell you which IRQ goes to which slot, and I guess you
> want to avoid using a slot that shares with the SATA controller.

It might not be interrupt related, it could be DMA starvation. This has
been observed with some SATA controllers while testing the -rt patches.
The symptom is that the latency traces show the machine going in "slow
motion".

Dominique: try the -rt kernel, enable latency tracing and post the
output.

Lee