Re: Fw: 2.6.17 oops, possibly ntfs/mmap related

From: Jonathan Woithe
Date: Sun Sep 24 2006 - 19:32:48 EST

> > > Given a machine check happened, the state of the machine in general
> > > is questionable. I'd recommend a run of memtest86+
> >
> > That was already done. No memory errors were reported over 10 passes.
> >
> > Secondly, the machine check indication was only present on one of the two
> > oopses we saw. Furthermore, there was no indication in any log files
> > that a machine check had occurred in the case of the second oops.
> > Then again, perhaps machine checks don't get logged which would make this
> > observation irrelevant.
> >
> > Could we be looking at a dying CPU?
>
> Maybe. Or some other hardware problem. Insufficient cooling/power for eg.

Power and cooling should be fine, and I've checked fans etc for correct
functioning - all is ok. The other thing worth noting is that the problems
with this machine only started once the USB/NTFS HDD started being used.
Before this the machine has been rock solid for 2+ years, and the usage
patterns haven't changed. Anyway, I'll keep an eye on it and post any
subsequent information as it becomes available.

Regards
jonathan