Re: 2.6.19 -mm merge plans

From: Sean
Date: Sun Sep 24 2006 - 14:24:34 EST

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 10:20:10 +0100
Russell King <rmk+lkml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The point I'm making is that for some things, keeping the changes as
> patches until they're ready is far easier, more worthwhile and flexible
> than having them simmering in some git tree somewhere.

It's not really easier, just different. Git allows you to make a
"topic branch" to keep separate items that need to bake before going
upstream without being mixed in with all your other worked. This
allows you to continue to pull in upstream changes to make sure that
the patch series still applies cleanly and doesn't need updates etc.

Of course you may be more comfortable with other tools, but Git _does_
make it easy and practical to do the same thing.

Sean