Re: How to debug random bus errors?

From: Orion Poplawski
Date: Fri Sep 22 2006 - 17:21:13 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:

On Fri, 22 Sep 2006, Orion Poplawski wrote:
We're seeing programs die with "bus error" (SIGBUS) randomly on a dual
processor Opteron machine. I've run memtest86+ and cpuburn stress tests with
no failure. gdb on a core file seems uninteresting. Is there some way to
trace the kernel to try to get more insight?

Which kernel?

Sorry, 2.6.17-1.2142_FC4smp, so fairly recent.

Other than that, does it tend to happen to the same particular program? It might just be a user space bug that needs a specific set of things to happen. Some of those bugs go away when you disable address space randomization etc, since they can depend on just pure luck (or rather, lack there-of).

So far just one program. Forgot about address space randomization, may need to look into turning that off to help debugging.

Thanks!

--
Orion Poplawski
System Administrator 303-415-9701 x222