Re: [RFC] Initial alpha-0 for new page allocator API

From: Christoph Lameter
Date: Fri Sep 22 2006 - 15:17:41 EST

On Fri, 22 Sep 2006, Andi Kleen wrote:

> We already have that scheme. Any existing driver should be already converted
> away from GFP_DMA towards dma_*/pci_*. dma_* knows all the magic
> how to get memory for the various ranges. No need to mess up the
> main allocator.

That is not the case. The "magic" ends in arch specific
*_alloc_dma_coherent function tinkering around with __GFP_DMA and in
x86_64 in addition GFP_DMA32.

> Anyways, i suppose what could be added as a fallback would be a
> really_slow_brute_force_try_to_get_something_in_this_range() allocator
> that basically goes through the buddy lists freeing in >O(1)
> and does some directed reclaim, but that would likely be a separate
> path anyways and not need your new structure to impact the O(1)
> allocator.

Right.

> I am still unconvinced of the real need. The only gaping hole was
> GFP_DMA32, which we fixed already.

And then about DMA zones being associated with arch independent memory
ranges which is not the case. GFP_DMA32 just happens to be defined by a
single arch and thus is has only one interpretation.

> Ok there is aacraid with its weird 2GB limit, but in case there are
> really enough users running into this broken then then the really_slow_*
> thing above would be likely fine. And those cards are slowly going
> away too.

I agree.