Re: Math-emu kills the kernel on Athlon64 X2

From: Jesper Juhl
Date: Mon Sep 18 2006 - 20:54:45 EST

On 19/09/06, Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]

You can try booting with "no387 nofxsr" to get rid of at least _that_
particular issue, but there might be other cases like that in the MMX
code, for example ("nofxsr" should disable both the FXSR and XMM
capabilities as far as the kernel is concerned).

If that works (or gets you further), we should just make "no387" disable
FXSR by itself.

Worth testing, and you can do it without even recompiling the kernel,
since we already have that kernel command line flag.

Booting with: vga=normal no387 nofxsr
gets me no forther. These are all the messages I get:

boot: 2.6.18rc7git2 vga=normal no387 nofxsr
BIOS data check successful
Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel.

And then the system hangs and requires a power cycle.

So unfortunately that does't help much :-(

--
Jesper Juhl <jesper.juhl@xxxxxxxxx>