Re: [RFC] PAGE_RW Should be added to PAGE_COPY ?

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Sat Sep 16 2006 - 03:51:19 EST

(adding linux-mm)

Hugh Dickins wrote:

but for the app to use a shared mapping instead of a private.

But that suggestion wasn't helpful: you'd much prefer not to
restrict what areas of userspace are used in this way.

The problem, as I now see it, is precisely with do_wp_page()'s
TestSetPageLocked, as you first said. There is indeed a small
but real chance that will fail. At some time in the past I did
realize that, but pushed it to the back of my mind, waiting for
someone actually to complain: now you have.

Yes, it would be good if we could do that check in some other,
reliable way. The problem is that can_share_swap_page has to
check page_mapcount (and PageSwapCache) and page_swapcount in
an atomic way: the page lock is what we have used to guard the
movement between mapcount and swapcount.

I'll try to think whether we can do that better,
but not until next week.

I don't think TestSetPageLocked is the problem. Indeed you may be
able to get around a few specific cases say, by turning that into
a plain lock_page()... but the problem is still fundamentally COW.

In other words, one should always be able to return 0 from that
can_share_swap_page and have the system continue to work... right?
Because even if you hadn't done that mprotect trick, you may still
have a problem because the page may *have* to be copied on write
if it is shared over fork.

So if we filled in the missing mm/ implementation of VM_DONTCOPY
(and call it MAP_DONTCOPY rather than the confusing MAP_DONTFORK)
such that it withstands such an mprotect sequence, we can then ask
that all userspace drivers do their get_user_pages memory on these
types of vmas.

Would that work?

--
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.