Re: Assignment of GDT entries

From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge
Date: Wed Sep 13 2006 - 16:10:24 EST

linux-os (Dick Johnson) wrote:
The entries 1 through 3 are used during the boot sequence, see
setup.S, search for "gdt" around line 983.

OK, but that's an early GDT used during boot, which shouldn't have any bearing on the GDT of the running kernel.

I can't imagine a reason why you'd want to do this.

I'm looking at packing all the descriptors together so they share a cache line, and therefore reduce the likelihood of a cache miss when loading a segment register.