Re: What's in libata-dev.git

From: Helge Hafting
Date: Tue Sep 12 2006 - 04:43:37 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:
On Mon, 11 Sep 2006, Jeff Garzik wrote:

Sergei Shtylyov wrote:
It's not likely I'll be able to try it. But I'm absolutely sure that
drive aborted the read commands with the sector count of 0 (i.e. 256
actually). The exact model was IBM DHEA-34331.
255 sectors actually seems more safe bet.
This sort of thing should be handled by quirks, depending on the controller
and drive.

Please don't play games with peoples data-safety.

It ios absolutely INCORRECT to think that "things should work as documented, let's fix it up with quirks".
How about a simple and harmless test?
When an IDE disk is accessed for the first time, perhaps when
the partition table is read - issue a 256-sector read and see
what happens. If it works - fine. If not, tag the thing as
supporting max 255 sectors.

No wrecking of file systems, and full performance for
the vast majority.

Helge Hafting