Re: cpu_init is called during resume

From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge
Date: Thu Aug 31 2006 - 12:09:24 EST

Pavel Machek wrote:
cpu_init() is called during resume, at time when GFP_KERNEL is not
available. This silences warning, and adds few small cleanups.

I presume this is resume from disk. If you're doing resume from RAM, all the CPU-related stuff should already be allocated, unless you're bringing up a new CPU which wasn't previously there, right?

What's the call path for this on resume? In my i386-pda patches, I've rearranged this so that the secondary CPU's GDT (and PDA) are pre-allocated on the boot CPU. Does this help this case, or would they still need to be atomic allocations?

And wouldn't making these allocations atomic make real CPU hotplug (ie, on an active, running system) more likely to fail? This code doesn't deal with allocation failure very elegantly.