Why will NFS client spend so much time on file open?

From: Xin Zhao
Date: Thu Aug 24 2006 - 03:13:09 EST

Hi,

I did Apache benchmark and collected the performance results at the
file system call level.
The microbenchmark results were collected when I did "make" on Apache
source code.

The results are very interesting:

open read
Total Time (s) 21.599 15.948 Count 310274
98028 Time/Call (ms) 69.61 162.69

The results show that NFS spent even more time on file open than on
file read. But this result confuses me: what does NFS do to open a
file? As far as I know, it just issues a lookup() RPC to get file
handle, and maybe a getattr() RPC to get file attributes. This should
not take so much time. Can someone explain why this could happen?

Thanks,
-x