Re: [RFC/PATCH] Fixes for ULi5261 (tulip driver)

From: Valerie Henson
Date: Wed Aug 23 2006 - 12:53:35 EST

On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 11:19:19AM +0200, Pozsar Balazs wrote:

> The funny thing is that it seems the _first_ phy_read call always
> returns only when the 0x8000 bit is gone (I got this while loop from the
> xircom_tulip driver).

That's pretty much the answer I was suspecting. Sounds like the read
is doing some sort of flush. Unfortunately I can't find any docs, so
I'd rather keep things as close to the old code as possible to avoid
breaking other cards. Does something like this also work?

udelay(500); /* Paranoia - phy_read() may be sufficient */
if (phy_read(db->ioaddr, db->phy_addr, 0, db->chip_id) & 0x8000)
printk("some useful error message");

-VAL