Re: Urgent help needed on an NFS question, please help!!!

From: Peter Staubach
Date: Thu Aug 10 2006 - 16:58:19 EST

Xin Zhao wrote:
That makes sense.

Can we make the following two conclusions?
1. In a single machine, inode+dev ID+i_generation can uniquely identify a file
2. Given a stored file handle and an inode object received from the
server, an NFS client can safely determine whether this inode
corresponds to the file handle by checking the inode+dev+i_generation.

#1 seems to safe enough to assume.

#2 either doesn't make sense to me or is assuming things about the file handle
that the client is not allowed to assume. A file handle is an opaque string
of bytes to the client. The only entity allowed to interpret the contents
is the entity which generated the file handle.

---

Is this situation any different than an application opens file, "A". Another
process then renames "A" to "B". Now, the original application is reading and
writing from and to a file called "B" and has no knowledge of this.

---

The bottom line is that the file handle uniquely identifies a particular
entity on a file system on the server. The name of the entity does not
matter.

Thanx...

ps