Re: 2.6.18-rc3-mm2 - ext3 locking issue?

From: Mattia Dongili
Date: Thu Aug 10 2006 - 13:31:59 EST

On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 08:27:49AM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 13:39:11 +0159
> Jiri Slaby <jirislaby@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx wrote:

> > > Red herring. yum just wedged again, this time with no reference to floppy drive.
> > > Same traceback. Anybody have anything to suggest before I start playing
> > > hunt-the-wumpus with a -mm bisection?
> >
> > Hmm, I have the accurately same problem...
> > yum + CFQ + BLK_DEV_PIIX + nothing odd in dmesg

oooh, same setup and same trace here, but no yum, see some screenshots
here:
http://oioio.altervista.org/linux/dsc03448.jpg
http://oioio.altervista.org/linux/dsc03449.jpg

The use case for me was simply:
- boot (in single user for the 2 shots)
- suspend
- resume
- wait some seconds and do anything that accesses the disk

[...]
> Is yum the only process which was stuck in D state?

in my case anything accessing the disk, leading to lockup shortly

> If so, I'd still be expecting a device driver/iosched bug.
>
> If not, it's probably a vfs/fs deadlock.

I reverted the full git-block.patch and I'm now using rc3-mm2 since
then suspending to ram, disk and using my laptop for daily stuff:

reboot system boot 2.6.18-rc3-mm2-1 Tue Aug 8 00:02 - 19:30 (2+19:27)

PS: my previous pasts are here: http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/8/7/264
probably an unfortunate Cc list :)

--
mattia