Re: ALSA problems with 2.6.18-rc3

From: Alistair John Strachan
Date: Wed Aug 09 2006 - 18:26:29 EST

On Wednesday 09 August 2006 23:11, Lee Revell wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-08-09 at 23:07 +0100, Alistair John Strachan wrote:
[snip]
> > However, ALSA _has_ defaults for these controls, which I believe are
> > usually "off" or "zero". All I'm suggesting is that these defaults are
> > plainly suboptimal for emu10k1, and probably other cards to which this
> > statement simply does not apply. Shipping defaults is one thing, but
> > shipping useless defaults is quite another. We have policy all over
> > the kernel for providing "sane defaults" e.g. filesystem mount
> > options.
>
> I think muted is a sane default - the only sane default. Otherwise you
> could damage speakers or hearing. Also many devices will be noisier if
> unused inputs are enabled. Is it really that hard for users to unmute
> the mixer or for distros to create their own config?

I think this argument is mostly deflated by the fact that other
multimedia-centric operating systems do not ship with controls muted. If
hardware is detected, all sliders are set to 50%. I think this is superior.

As you pointed out, it probably is best left to distros. I just can't help
thinking that there might be some scope for improving the default state of
boolean tunables, even if sliders are left at zero.

> Also, analog output on my emu10k1 works perfectly with "External
> Amplifier" disabled.

Interesting, evidence in your favour. It does not work here. It also did not
work on the AC'97 in my HP NC6000, which also has External something-or-other
and which also defaulted to "off".

Took some figuring out. :-)

--
Cheers,
Alistair.

Final year Computer Science undergraduate.