Re: 'vintage' via dma bug

From: Dave Jones
Date: Tue Jul 18 2006 - 14:39:38 EST

On Tue, Jul 18, 2006 at 08:36:00PM +0200, febo@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I have the misfortune to run a rather old PIII machine with a VIA chipset,
> a Fedora Core 1 distro with 2.4.22 kernel and two PATA hard mirrored hard
> disk, on two separate channels, both set to primary. I've experienced some
> data corruption lately and after much googling I've found that 4-5 years
> ago some via chipset experienced a similar problem with dma transfers,
> especially with hard disk configured the very same way as my setup. The bug
> was fixed, I gather, in 2.4.4. I've upgrade the kernel to 2.6.10 (the
> latest Fedora legacy core *TWO* kernel, with fingers crossed) but the
> corruption problems usually start to pop up only after a few weeks of
> uptime, especially under relatively heavy load.
> I couldn't find more precise pointers after all these years so I'd like to
> know if that bug really affected my chipset, and if 2.6.10 is a valid
> solution..

I'm puzzled why you upgraded from one end-of-life'd distro to
another ancient end-of-life'd distro. You're more likely to get
interest from the upstream developers if you're running
something recent. Even _I_ don't remember what was good/bad
in the Fedora kernels from that era, and I built them :-)

Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk