Re: Reiser4 Inclusion

From: Jan Engelhardt
Date: Tue Jul 18 2006 - 04:01:46 EST

>Any why can those users not download and apply a patch, try it and
>report back to Namesys?

Because that patch pokes into some files outside fs/reiser4, giving a hard time
with rejects for the novice user. The linux kernel is a huge codebase, and
I have, for example, less clue of mm/ than of fs/.

I was very happy to see that
ftp://ftp.namesys.com/pub/reiser4-for-2.6/2.6.16/reiser4-for-2.6.16-4.patch.gz
worked well on 2.6.17 and 2.6.17.x, but it already stopped patching again
on 2.6.18-rc1. The next newer version of reiser4 is for -mm, which is not
so useful for me. If namesys provided reiser4 patches for every vanilla out
there (possibly including -rc's, but that's just extra sugar), that would
be great, but I cannot force them to do so; people may have better things
to do than packaging up r4 whenever there is a linux tarball release.

Jan Engelhardt