Re: Driver for Microsoft USB Fingerprint Reader

From: Alon Bar-Lev
Date: Mon Jul 03 2006 - 14:15:19 EST

Daniel Bonekeeper wrote:
Hello Alon !
Unfortunately I don't have an accessible thinkpad laptop (luckly the
external usb devices may work the same way). From the USB readers at
http://www.upek.com/products/usb.asp, which one do you think that fits
better the hardware on your laptop ?

I think that the TCRE3C is similar to the laptop one. I also hope that it is the same... Also the laptop integrated one is USB device.

Here is my device information:

Bus 003 Device 011: ID 0483:2016 SGS Thomson Microelectronics
Device Descriptor:
bLength 18
bDescriptorType 1
bcdUSB 1.00
bDeviceClass 0 (Defined at Interface level)
bDeviceSubClass 0
bDeviceProtocol 0
bMaxPacketSize0 8
idVendor 0x0483 SGS Thomson Microelectronics
idProduct 0x2016
bcdDevice 0.01
iManufacturer 1 STMicroelectronics
iProduct 2 Biometric Coprocessor
iSerial 0
bNumConfigurations 1
Configuration Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 2
wTotalLength 39
bNumInterfaces 1
bConfigurationValue 1
iConfiguration 0
bmAttributes 0xa0
Remote Wakeup
MaxPower 100mA
Interface Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 4
bInterfaceNumber 0
bAlternateSetting 0
bNumEndpoints 3
bInterfaceClass 255 Vendor Specific Class
bInterfaceSubClass 0
bInterfaceProtocol 0
iInterface 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x81 EP 1 IN
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0040 1x 64 bytes
bInterval 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x02 EP 2 OUT
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0040 1x 64 bytes
bInterval 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x83 EP 3 IN
bmAttributes 3
Transfer Type Interrupt
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0004 1x 4 bytes
bInterval 20

I was looking for any place that sells those devices and I could not
find any online (even though I found lots of SDK and matching engines
that supports them, like VeriFinger).

Is there any place where I can buy one of those readers ?

Oh... I really don't know...
You can buy a new laptop :)

Best Regards,
Alon Bar-Lev.