Re: GFS2 and DLM

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Tue Jun 27 2006 - 04:48:59 EST

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 10:35:44 +0200
Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> * Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 08:33:39 +0200
> > Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > Isnt this whole episode highly hypocritic to begin with?
> >
> > Might be, but that's not relevant to GFS2's suitability.
>
> it is relevant to a certain degree, because it creates a (IMO) false
> impression of merging showstoppers. After months of being in -mm, and
> after addressing all issues that were raised (and there was a fair
> amount of review activity December last year iirc), one week prior the
> close of the merge window a 'huge' list of issues are raised. (after
> belovingly calling the GFS2 code a "huge mess", to create a positive and
> productive tone for the review discussion i guess.)

It's a general problem - our reviewing resources do not have the capacity
to cover our coding resources. This is especially the case on filesystems.
We'd have merged (a very different) reiser4 a year ago if things were
in balance.

(and our code-breaking resources appear to exceed our code-fixing resources
too, but that's another topic).