Re: [discuss] Re: [RFC] Whitelist chipsets supporting MSI and check Hyper-transport capabilitiesKJ

From: Greg Lindahl
Date: Wed Jun 21 2006 - 21:36:03 EST

On Wed, Jun 21, 2006 at 06:37:30PM +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:

> Because I don't think normal Linux users should be in the hardware validation
> business. If the vendor says it's not tested we shouldn't enable it by default.

All you're going to do is piss off all the distros and hardare vendors
shipping systems with this chip in it. Nvidia is not the only "vendor"
involved, and is not the only one doing hardware validation. Sun, HP,
Newisys, and LNXI all have currently shipping Opteron products with a
CK804. All 4 are probably going to want your employer's distro to not
disable MSI.

-- greg