Re: [RFC, patch] i386: vgetcpu(), take 2

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Wed Jun 21 2006 - 13:13:33 EST

On Wednesday 21 June 2006 14:24, Chuck Ebbert wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 10:15:39 +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
>
> > * Chuck Ebbert <76306.1226@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > Use a GDT entry's limit field to store per-cpu data for fast access
> > > from userspace, and provide a vsyscall to access the current CPU
> > > number stored there.
> >
> > very nice idea! I thought of doing sys_get_cpu() too, but my idea was to
> > use the scheduler to keep a writable [and permanently pinned,
> > per-thread] VDSO data page uptodate with the current CPU# [and other
> > interesting data]. Btw., do we know how fast LSL is on modern CPUs?
>
> Now that the GDT is a full page for each CPU there's plenty of space
> for all kinds of per-cpu data, even if we waste 75% of it. LSL seems
> pretty fast; I got 13 clocks for the whole lsl/jnz/and sequence on K8

My measurements show different - i get 60+ cycles on K8 and 150+ cycles
on P4. That is with a full vsyscall around it. However it is still
far better than CPUID, however slower than RDTSCP on those CPUs that support it.

I changed the CPUID fallback path to use LSL on x86-64

> and 21 clocks on PII. Myabe you can test P4?
>
> /* test how fast lsl/jnz/and runs.
> */
> #define _GNU_SOURCE
> #include <stdio.h>
> #include <stdlib.h>
>
> #define rdtscll(t) asm volatile ("rdtsc" : "=A" (t))
>
> #ifndef ITERS
> #define ITERS 1000000
> #endif
>
> int main(int argc, char * const argv[])
> {
> unsigned long long tsc1, tsc2;
> int count, cpu, junk;
>
> rdtscll(tsc1);
> asm (
> " pushl %%ds \n"
> " popl %2 \n"
> "1: \n"
> #ifdef DO_TEST
> " lsl %2,%0 \n"
> " jnz 2f \n"
> " and $0xff,%0 \n"
> #endif
> " dec %1 \n"
> " jnz 1b \n"
> "2: \n"
> : "=&r" (cpu), "=&r" (count), "=&r" (junk)
> : "1" (ITERS), "0" (-1)
> );
> rdtscll(tsc2);

Measuring this way is a bad idea because you get far too much
noise from the RDTSCs. Usually you need to put a a few thousands entry
loop inside the RDTSCP and devide the result by the loop count

-Andi