Re: 2.6.17-rc5-mm1

From: Martin J. Bligh
Date: Thu Jun 01 2006 - 11:31:23 EST

Roman Zippel wrote:
Hi,

On Thu, 1 Jun 2006, Martin J. Bligh wrote:

That doesn't seem to cover what we talked about clearly at all ?
I suppose the _ALL stuff is meant to cover stuff with overhead,
but frankly, what Ingo did seemed much clearer to me.

It just didn't make much sense, a config option only to configure the default value of unseen values?
If we have too many debug options, I don't mind to hide them behind an advanced config option, but their default values should not differ between their visible and hidden state, so that the user sees the real values when he enables the advanced option.
A config option which only configures the default values is much less useful, in an already configured kernel it's completely useless to an user who only wants to enable some runtime checks and unless he reads the help text _carefully_, he might even think that he just enabled some runtime checks.

Did you read the discussion that lead up to it? I thought that quite
clearly described why such a thing was needed.

Config options need to clearly distinguish what they're for, or people
will screw them up ... given:

config DEBUG_RUNTIME_CHECKS
bool "Enable runtime debug checks"

config DEBUG_RUNTIME_CHECKS_ALL
bool "Enable all runtime debug checks"
depends on DEBUG_RUNTIME_CHECKS

... how is either the user meant to know under which of these to find
things, or the coder introducing a new feature supposed to know where
to put stuff? They're not very descriptive.

Please can we have a more constructive discussion that "it's wrong,
nack" ?

M.