Re: [RFC] kernel facilities for cache prefetching

From: Wu Fengguang
Date: Fri May 05 2006 - 21:10:56 EST

On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 06:20:29PM -0400, Rik van Riel wrote:
> Why not simply read everything in a whole file at a time
> at boot time, while we still have enough free memory ?

Sure it helps, though may be unnecessary once we can rely on userspace
pre-caching tools to do it in a more accurate and efficient way.

The main concern would be inter-file/inter-buffer readahead.
I have some data to support it:

% wc -l hda* startup.files
1743 hda2_buffers <== my /
335 hda3_buffers <== my /home
1130 startup.files
3208 total

The above cache sizes sum up to ~110MB, so it's about 36KB per seek.

Thanks,
Wu