Re: Reiserfsck dies

From: Jan Engelhardt
Date: Wed May 03 2006 - 15:12:32 EST

>> ... and you have only 512 MB with no swap. Try to add some swap space -
>> then reiserfsck might eventually complete.
>>
>> AFAIK, the only way to recover reiserfs after --rebuild-tree has been
>> attempted is to run "reiserfsck --rebuild-tree" to completion.
>>
> ok, you say that you think/know it is normal that reiserfsck needs more
> than 512 MB ram... I just thought this is a bug. :-)
>
> So I try with 1 GB real ram and another 1 GB of swap. You're sure
> everything is normal, and we don't have a problem at all?

A 1.5TB reiserfs3 volume takes long to mount. That's because it build the
some bitmaps at mount time. Which means it (the kernel fs) requires more
ram as your partitions grow. I only have one blurry experience value which
is approximately 128MB per 1.9TB. Then you also need RAM for fsck...
Note that fsck'ing ext* filesystems also take their time, even when the
filesystem is otherwise clean (e.g. mount count reached).

Jan Engelhardt