Re: [RFC] Advanced XIP File System

From: Jared Hulbert
Date: Wed May 03 2006 - 01:08:41 EST

Can you explain a bit more? If you aren't going to use the MTD, why
rely on it at all?

I plan to could do 'mount -t axfs /dev/mtdblock2 /mnt/axfs' and use
the mtd to get the address to flash from map->cached or maybe
mtd->point. Personally I think this is a clean approach to mounting
this fs. Right now we do it like linear cramfs 'mount -t cramfs -o
physaddr=0xDEADBEEF /dev/null /mnt/axfs' and then map flash ourselves
with ioremap(). I'd like to enable a mode like this to in case you
don't have MTD. But I prefer the former.

Have you done comparisons vs. squashfs at all? It does better at both
performance and compression that cramfs, so I'm curious.

Haven't done any performance testing on squashfs. I did see some
compression analysis that basically showed that squashfs did compress
better but paid for that flash saving in extra RAM.