Re: IP1000 gigabit nic driver

From: David Vrabel
Date: Thu Apr 27 2006 - 18:26:01 EST

Francois Romieu wrote:
David GÃmez <david@xxxxxxxxxxxx> :
[...]
Does anybody in this list know why the IP1000 driver is not
included in the kernel ?

Afaik the driver has never been submitted for inclusion.
At least not on netdev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (hint, hint).

[...]
The card in question is:

Sundance Technology Inc IC Plus IP1000

and the driver can be found in sundance web, sources

URL please ?

included. I tried to contact the author but my email
bounced.

There's no LICENSE in the source, just copyrigth
sentences in the .c files, so i'm not sure under
which license it's distributed :-?.

/me goes to http://www.icplus.com.tw/driver-pp-IP1000A.html

$ unzip -c IP1000A-Linux-driver-v2.09f.zip | grep MODULE_LICENSE
MODULE_LICENSE("GPL");

It's a bit bloaty but it does not seem too bad (not mergeable "as
is" though). Do you volunteer to test random cra^W^W carefully
engineered code on your computer to help the rework/merging process ?

I finally got around to putting a 2nd NIC in my box that has one of this chips and was going to start fixing the driver up and preparing it for submission this weekend. Or I might try rewriting from scratch based on the datasheet depending on how horrific the code looks on closer inspection.

Not got a whole lot of time to do this so no timescale for completion...

David Vrabel