RE: [(repost) git Patch 1/1] avoid IRQ0 ioapic pin collision

From: Protasevich, Natalie
Date: Thu Apr 27 2006 - 15:26:42 EST

> > Len, maybe it sounds dramatic and/or extreme, but how about getting
> > rid of IRQs and just having GSI-vector pair.
> > I intuitively think that would be possible (not that I have all the
> > details lined up :) And this would probably take away confusing IRQ
> > abstraction out once and for all? I think something like
> that is done
> > in ia64.
>
> x86 users are attached to their interrupt numbers I think
> back from the bad old days with only 16 interrupts and
> interrupt sharing didn't work. We might have a revolt in the
> user base if /proc/interrupts didn't display them anymore @)
>
> But I guess using GSI/vector internally only would be fine.

Oh I completely agree there are probably few strings attached that have
to be mimicked and kept (especially those 16), but I think that can be
done.
It feels like not a small change to me, but would probably be
worthwhile. It is such a boring thing trying to fit new chipsets and
system dimensions into old inflexible format...

--Natalie