Re: Linux 2.6.17-rc2

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Apr 21 2006 - 12:40:56 EST

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006, Alistair John Strachan wrote:

> Something in here (or -rc1, I didn't test that) broke WINE. x86-64 kernel,
> 32bit WINE, works fine on 2.6.16.7. I'll check whether -rc1 had the same
> problem and work backwards, but just in case somebody has an idea..

Nothing strikes me, but maybe Andi has a clue.

> [alistair] 11:17 [~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Warcraft III] wine
> war3.exe -opengl
> wine: Unhandled page fault on write access to 0x00495000 at address 0x495000

> Unhandled exception: page fault on write access to 0x00495000 in 32-bit code

That looks bogus. %eip is 0x00495000, and might well have taken a fault,
but it sure ain't a write access. According to the built-in wine debugger
it was

> 0x00495000 EntryPoint in war3: pushl %eax

which does do a write, but to %esp (which is 7f9eff0c according to the
dump, and which is unlikely to have taken a fault, since it's almost 256
bytes off the end of a page in the stack area).

Alistair, if you can do a "git bisect" on this one, that would help.
Unless Andi goes "Duh!".

Linus