Re: Linux 2.6.17-rc2

From: Linh Dang
Date: Thu Apr 20 2006 - 15:58:58 EST

Jens Axboe <axboe@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 20 2006, Linh Dang wrote:
>> Jens Axboe <axboe@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Well it's worked so far, hasn't it? :-)

>>> This is on a TODO, but not very high up since I've yet to see a
>>> case where the current 16 page limitation is an issue. I'm sure
>>> something will come up eventually, but until then I'd rather not
>>> bother.
>>
>> DVD burning! splicing those huge VOB files into the dvd device
>> would be nice. And believe me, the current 16 entries of the pipe
>> is nowhere enough to sustain burning at 8X avg speed or higher.
>>
>> It's a special case but it'd benefit a LOT of ppl ;-)
>
> (don't drop the cc list)
>
> DVD burning probably isn't a good splice fit, since you need to do
> more than actually just point the device at the data. SG_IO is
> already zero-copy as it maps the user data into the kernel without
> copying, so there's very little room for improvement there to begin
> with.

DVD burning on linux is mostly:

mkisofs .... | growisofs ....

Ideally, on mkisofs side, we'd be able to:

- write some data/padding into the pipe
- splice a HUGE file into the pipe
- write some data/padding into the pipe
- splice a HUGE file into the pipe

On growisofs side, we'd be able to:

- send some commands
- splice N MBs of data from the pipe to the driver
- send some commands
- splice M MBs of data from the pipe to the driver

What'd be nice is an ioctl to change the size of the pipe between
mkisofs and growisofs.

--
Linh Dang