Re: [RFC] Netlink and user-space buffer pointers

From: James Smart
Date: Wed Apr 19 2006 - 13:05:51 EST

Stephen Hemminger wrote:
On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 08:57:25 -0400
James Smart <James.Smart@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Folks,

To take netlink to where we want to use it within the SCSI subsystem (as
the mechanism of choice to replace ioctls), we're going to need to pass
user-space buffer pointers.

This changes the design of netlink. It is desired that netlink
can be done remotely over the network as well as queueing.
The current design is message based, not RPC based. By including a
user-space pointer, you are making the message dependent on the
context as it is process.

Please rethink your design.

I assume that the message receiver has some way to determine where the
message originated (via the sk_buff), and thus could reject it if it
didn't meet the right criteria. True ? You just have to be cognizant
that it is usable from a remote entity - which is a very good thing.