AMD64 overclock issue with 2.6.16 but not with 2.6.15

From: JimD
Date: Wed Mar 29 2006 - 14:32:24 EST

Do any one know of any other issues with amd64 and the
2.6.16 series? I have run into a weird issue.

I have an AMD64 3200+ that runs at 2 GHz and runs *very* cool at about
34c. My motherboard makes it pretty easy to overclock so I have
overclocked the 3200+ to 2.2 GHz and it has been running very stable
and still only around 39c.

When I was runing overclocked in 2.6.15 /proc/cpuinfo would show:

jim@keelie$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 15
model : 47
model name : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+
stepping : 2
cpu MHz : 2200.000
cache size : 512 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr
pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2
syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt lm 3dnowext 3dnow pni
lahf_lm ts fid vid ttp tm stc
bogomips : 4409.17

Now with 2.6.16 it shows:

jim@keelie$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 15
model : 47
model name : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+
stepping : 2
cpu MHz : 2000.000
<snip>
bogomips : 4409.17

The bogomips are showing the same though the kernel is not reporting
the correct MHz. If I reboot and check the BIOS, the correct MHz is
reported. I have not run any CPU benchmarks to see if performance is
really going back down to 2000 MHz.

Does anyone have a clue what could be causing this?

Jim