Re: Question regarding to store file system metadata in database

From: Xin Zhao
Date: Mon Mar 20 2006 - 17:50:36 EST

Apparently this comparison is not 100% fair. In my experiment, I
randomly pick pathname from 1.2 million path names to resolve the
inode number. But in your "cp -rl linux2.6 foo1" experiment, you
essentially did directory entry lookup sequentially, which maximize
the possible performance. If you do the same thing in a random
fashion, you will probably get much worse performance. As I said
before, I totally agree that 2000/sec is slow. But the point here is
whether 2000/sec is enough for most scenarios?

I am not saying existing FS implementation is not efficient. I agreed
that file system has been fully optimized. What I want to say is to
support complex mapping in the system I described before, we might
need some extension on existing file systems. Question is what is the
best extension. Consider how to allow user a, b to share physical copy
f.1, while allowing user c to use private copy f.2? The virtual
pathname to physical pathname should be transparent to end users. That
is, all the users should be able to access right file copies using
virtual path "f". The file system should be able to tell the different
identity and return the data from the right physical copy. That's what
we want to do. But it is hard to achieve without some extension. :)

Xin