Re: VFAT: Can't create file named 'aux.h'?

From: Jan Engelhardt
Date: Mon Mar 20 2006 - 16:43:49 EST

> Hi everybody,
>
>while trying to back up a couple Linux directories to a FAT disk I ran
>into a weird situation: I can't create a file called aux.h on the FAT
>system!

On DOS et al, there are a number of special filenames, such as

com1:
com2: (and so on)
lpt1:
lpt2: (and so on)
con:
aux
nul

(Try `dir >nul`, it's equivalent to unix's `ls -l >/dev/null` --
aux is the auxiliary port, whatever that is)

It seems only fair to me to not allow creating these files under Linux
either, to avoid problems when booting back to Dos/Windows.

Jan Engelhardt