Re: Dual Core on Linux questions

From: Wes Felter
Date: Mon Mar 20 2006 - 14:21:48 EST

Alejandro Bonilla wrote:
Hi,

I have a few questions about the PM Dual Core and how could it really work
with Linux. Sorry if there are new patches on LKML about any of these things:

Could each processor or die, have it's own cpufreq scaling governor?

Is there a way to allow one die to be idle and let the other one normal?

So in other words, could we manage these processors speedstep, utilization and
workload individually?

This depends on your hardware. I was reading the Sossaman data sheet the other day, and it says that the entire chip must run at the same frequency. You can set each core to a different frequency, but the hardware chooses the higher of the two. Likewise, the entire chip can sleep, but individual cores can only go into C1. I imagine the Core Duo is the same.

IIRC, the dual-core Opterons behave a little differently but the two cores still have to run at the same frequency.

Wes Felter - wesley@xxxxxxxxxx