Re: OOPS: 2.6.16-rc6 cpufreq_conservative

From: Alexander Clouter
Date: Sun Mar 19 2006 - 12:31:50 EST

Hi,

Parag Warudkar <kernel-stuff@xxxxxxxxxxx> [20060319 09:06:25 -0500]:

> The codebase already seems identical to ondemand - Are your patches in
> 2.6.16-rc6 or -mm? If they are - let me know which. If you posted them but
> they haven't yet made it into either -mm or mainline can you please post
> links to all your patches please? I can test them.

Well I submitted them back on 2006-02-24:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=114079151404567&w=2
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=114079151425558&w=2
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=114079151417220&w=2

It has been pointed out I did forget to CC the cpufreq folk, so thats
completely my fault; I thought I had. :-/

> Why do we even have conservative and ondemand as two separate modules given
> they share huge amount of code - perhaps make conservative an optional
> behaviour of ondemand or alteast make a common lib which both use?

Originally the 'conservative' feature was just a sysfs flag that could be set
however it was rejected for a number of reasons; one of them quite rightly,
we have a modular system that can take stacks of cpufreq governors so lets
use that :)

Also, more importantly, bugs in my bits do not affect the original author.
It makes more sense to keep things this way as the internal code then does
not need a bunch of if{}'s scattered around and also I have a number of extra
sysfs files to tweak which would either do nothing in 'ondemand' mode or have
to be magically created and destroyed.

Either way, its probably neater this way and its *my* duty to make sure
anything changing for ondemand is considered for conservative. If you look
at a lot of the userland tools that have come out, it would be a pain to have
them consider the exception class of handling the combined
ondemand/conservative.

Breaking out the thing into a library probably would be awkward as all the
similar code is actually inline in functions, putting that in a seperate file
would be pointless. Hopefully when you apply my patches and then do a diff
between the ondemand and conservative governors you will see what I mean.

Cheers

Alex

/ Fortune finishes the great quotations, \
| #3 |
| |
| Birds of a feather flock to a newly |
\ washed car. /