Who uses the 'nodev' flag in /proc/filesystems ???

From: Neil Brown
Date: Sun Mar 19 2006 - 00:30:35 EST

Hi,
I just noticed that the FS_REQUIRES_DEV flag is used for just two
things in the kernel.

1/ to place the text 'nodev' at the start of the line in
/proc/filesystems
2/ to tell nfsd that it is reasonably OK to use the s_dev field
in the superblock as a stable, unique identifier for the
filesystem.

I have a filesystem I am playing with for which I am quite happy to
lose the second aspect of FS_REQUIRES_DEV (it does use a device, but
there could well be multiple devices, and the fs can migrate from one
device to another so s_dev is even less stable than normal). However
I would like to understand the implications of losing the first aspect
of FS_REQUIRES_DEV before deciding whether to provide the flag or not.

Hence the question in the subject:

Who uses the 'nodev' flag in /proc/filesystems?

Are there any known users of this flag?

Thanks,
NeilBrown