Re: 2.6.16-rc6-mm2: new RDMA CM EXPORT_SYMBOL's

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Sat Mar 18 2006 - 20:23:32 EST

"Sean Hefty" <sean.hefty@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >I'm not exactly happy that this tree adds tons of RDMA CM
> >EXPORT_SYMBOL's that are neither currently used nor _GPL.
>
> The symbols are used by the kernel component that provides userspace support.

There's brevity and then there is obscurity.

+EXPORT_SYMBOL(rdma_wq);
+EXPORT_SYMBOL(rdma_translate_ip);
+EXPORT_SYMBOL(rdma_resolve_ip);
+EXPORT_SYMBOL(rdma_addr_cancel);
+EXPORT_SYMBOL(rdma_create_id);
+EXPORT_SYMBOL(rdma_create_qp);
+EXPORT_SYMBOL(rdma_destroy_qp);
+EXPORT_SYMBOL(rdma_init_qp_attr);
+EXPORT_SYMBOL(rdma_destroy_id);
+EXPORT_SYMBOL(rdma_listen);
+EXPORT_SYMBOL(rdma_resolve_route);
+EXPORT_SYMBOL(rdma_resolve_addr);
+EXPORT_SYMBOL(rdma_bind_addr);
+EXPORT_SYMBOL(rdma_connect);
+EXPORT_SYMBOL(rdma_accept);
+EXPORT_SYMBOL(rdma_reject);
+EXPORT_SYMBOL(rdma_disconnect);
+EXPORT_SYMBOL(ib_get_rmpp_segment);
+EXPORT_SYMBOL(ib_copy_qp_attr_to_user);
+EXPORT_SYMBOL(ib_copy_path_rec_to_user);
+EXPORT_SYMBOL(ib_copy_path_rec_from_user);
+EXPORT_SYMBOL(ib_modify_qp_is_ok);
+EXPORT_SYMBOL(ip_dev_find);

Some or all of those exports have no in-tree users.

What code will use them?

Is it planned that this code be merged?

Please explain the thinking behind the choice of a non-GPL export. (Yes,
we discussed this when inifiniband was first merged, but it doesn't hurt to
reiterate).