Re: [patch 2/2] alarm unsigned signed conversion fixup

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Sat Mar 18 2006 - 15:13:18 EST

Thomas Gleixner <tglx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> alarm() calls the kernel with an unsigend int timeout in seconds.
> The value is converted to a timeval which is used to setup the
> itimer. The tv_sec field of the timeval is a long, which causes
> the timeout to be negative on 32 bit machines if seconds > INT_MAX.
> Also this was silently caught before the hrtimer merge.
> To avoid fixups all over the place the duplicated sys_alarm code
> is moved to itimer.c.

It's not clear what you mean by this. What does "silently caught" mean?

I _think_ you mean "a negative tv_sec gets treated in a random fashion, but
with my preceding patch it will incorrectly get -EINVAL, so fix things to
accept this large tv_sec". Or something else.

Please clarify.

What happens if change sys_setitimer() to normalise the incoming timeval as
I suggested? I guess that doesn't affect this..