Re: [patch 1/1] consolidate TRUE and FALSE

From: Xavier Bestel
Date: Fri Mar 17 2006 - 17:34:45 EST

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 13:26:39 -0800
Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> C99 does have boolean support, so the proper thing to do is to start
> using it - implement stdbool.h, fix up fallout, start fixing subsystems.
> Given that, and as Greg has fixed up this particular build error I'll drop
> the patch.

Isn't there a runtime cost converting all "non-false" values to a unique "true" (i.e. converting non-zero values to one) ?
I mean:

bool res = strcmp(string, "whatever");
if(res)
something_else();

... will convert res to 0 or 1, which is totally useless except perhaps for comprehension (and again, not for Al Viro for example :)

Xav